Thursday, March 13, 2014

Letter 3/10/2014

We're doing exchanges tonight and I'm excited because I'm going to Sanbon with Sister Wright who was in my MTC district. I miss my MTC district. We had 12 people squished into our classroom and we could barely get in and out of our desks but we got along really well and had a lot of fun together.
 
We get transfer calls this Saturday and tranfers are the following Wednesday. I think I'll stay in Ansan because Sister Jeong has been here since August.

The Young Women have changed recently. The come to church and activities more often and they say they want to serve missions and they are nicer to us. The days of p
laying tag and hide-and-go-seek are nearly over.
We made cookies this Saturday for our mutual activity. So I was able to use the recipe you gave me! The first two batches were weird..... they looked like muffin tops and the texture looked really weird. I don't know what the problem was. But we were able to get the third batch to turn out. It may have been because we couldn't use real butter because it's so expensive here. Our maybe our baby oven was having problems. But it was fun. And the Young Women who helped seemed to enjoy it.
 
We have stake conference this weekend.
 
The Seoul Institute of Art is right next to us so our bishop wants us to work hard to advertise English to them as a find tool. I confess I'm a little scared of them. One of our English investigators teaches at the University and she's going  to help us advertise.
People here can't comprehend gluten-free. A lot of people just think I'm picky. They'll say things like, "I was going ot invite you over to eat this food but Sister Stout probably wouldn't like it." or "no - this is good quality so you'll be okay." or "I made this myself. You can eat it." But some people do understand and they're super nice. Sometimes people will make special food for me to eat when we have big church gatherings with food and they'll cook up some rice so that I can eat it.

Koreans don't have gluten allergies so it's just a foreign concept to some of them. 
 
Members have started speaking a little English to me. For my first three months I thought only two people in my ward could speak English but once I started being able to hold decent conversations with people they pulled their English out.

 (I asked if they wanted to make sure she could learn Korean before they started using English with her, so that they didn't hinder her)
That's what I thought at first but they talk to our greenie elder now. I don't know. It's fine because I had to learn more. Our President asked us to try harder to speak Korean at church and I had no idea what he was talking about because all I did was speak English at church but I guess the Korean members like to speak English to the missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment